Friday, September 18, 2009

Quality of Life in Northern Nevada - Hiking in Reno


I love living and working in Northern Nevada. I say that a lot, but that’s because I am reminded daily of the many benefits of this wonderful area. For instance, I went for my daily hike with the dogs this morning at one of my favorite spots. The Keystone Trailhead.



I actually start my hike behind Hilltop Park and wind up the back way over Upper Peavine Dam. Looking to the west, there are beautiful views of the Sierras.

If you enjoy the stark beauty of the high dessert, this is a way to get in 2 to 5 miles while just 10 minutes from downtown Reno. In fact, once you head up and across the Reno R you have a great view of downtown’s high rises sitting in the morning valley mist.


My dogs love to run and chase huge jackrabbits or little cottontails (no, they don’t even come close to catching them!!!). While well-behaved dogs are frequently off leash in this open range area, they must listen to your “come” command, since there are several coyote that live in this ravine. My two big guys roam free, but the Dachshund is on leash, since she can not be trusted to not chase the coyotes. We are generally out at daybreak, so we frequently run across a pair (or three) of these cagy creatures in spring and fall, but after 3 years of pretty close encounters they have always given my pack a wide berth…. Must be the dachshund.



Living and working in Northern Nevada I have the luxury of having gorgeous nature very conveniently located close to my back yard. How can you beat that for quality of life!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment